- Title: Church in Egypt holds prayers for victims of Coptic attack
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CHILD CAUGHT UP IN ATTACK, JULIA ADLY, SAYING: "The bullet entered his throat and came out of his heart." VARIOUS OF AISLE IN CHURCH WITH PICTURES OF VICTIMS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNCLE OF VICTIM, SALAMA, SAYING: "This is the result of only one thing: negligence, negligence, negligence from the government for not punishing these people. Negligence, from the government for not punishing those in prison, we are not asking for them to be killed. We are asking for them to be tried fairly. These are killers and murderers. What did they (the victims) do? What did we do for our children to become orphans?" VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CHURCH WITH POSTER SHOWING FACES OF THOSE KILLED
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 15:26
- Keywords: victims violence church Christians Coptic attack Egypt
- Location: NAZLET HANNA, BENI SUEF, EGYPT
- City: NAZLET HANNA, BENI SUEF, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0066IR475Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People gathered in a church in northeastern Egypt on Sunday (May 28) to mourn the more than two dozen Christians shot dead by unidentified gunmen on Friday.
Gunmen attacked a group of Coptic Christians travelling to a monastery in central Egypt on Friday, killing at least 29 people and wounding 24, with many children among the victims.
Islamic State took responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. It followed a series of church bombings claimed by the militant group in a campaign of violence against Copts.
Mourners gathered at the church included family members of some of those killed, who expressed anger at the government and blamed it for "negligence".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None