- Title: Church in Egypt holds prayers for victims of Coptic attack
- Date: 28th May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ALTAR BOY HOLDING PRAYER ICON PRIEST DURING PRAYER CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 11th June 2017 15:26
- Keywords: victims violence church Christians Coptic attack Egypt
- Location: NAZLET HANNA, BENI SUEF, EGYPT
- City: NAZLET HANNA, BENI SUEF, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036IR475Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People gathered in a church in northeastern Egypt on Sunday (May 28) to mourn the more than two dozen Christians shot dead by unidentified gunmen on Friday.
Gunmen attacked a group of Coptic Christians travelling to a monastery in central Egypt on Friday, killing at least 29 people and wounding 24, with many children among the victims.
Islamic State took responsibility for the attack, which came on the eve of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. It followed a series of church bombings claimed by the militant group in a campaign of violence against Copts.
Mourners gathered at the church included family members of some of those killed, who expressed anger at the government and blamed it for "negligence".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.