- Title: Putin visits Russian Orthodox church in Paris
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: CHOIR SINGING ON BALCONY CONDUCTOR CONDUCTING CHOIR
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 20:23
- Keywords: religion patriarch Putin Orthodox
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056IW5HL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin visited an Orthodox church on Monday (May 29), capping a visit that aimed to reset French-Russian ties.
After a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron at the Versailles palace, Putin headed to the Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, where he offered an icon to Bishop Nestor, who represents the Russian patriarch in France.
Last October, Putin skipped the inauguration of the ornate church building located steps away from the Eiffel Tower, when he cancelled a Paris visit after then President Francois Hollande said he would see the Russian leader only for talks on Syria.
Situated on the banks of the River Seine, the church is the biggest Russian landmark in Paris. Its grounds include a cultural centre and a primary school for 150 pupils.
Built in limestone and glass, and topped off by traditional onion-shaped golden domes, it aims to serve some 10,000 Russian Orthodox living around Paris and tens of thousands more throughout France.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.