- Title: Kenya's President Kenyatta kicks off election campaign
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF KENYA'S PRESIDENT UHURU KENYATTA AND DEPUTY PRESIDENT WILLIAM RUTO ARRIVING AND SHAKING HANDS WITH INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL AND BOUNDARIES COMMISSION (IEBC) VARIOUS OF KENYATTA SEATED WITH IEBC OFFICIALS RUTO SEATED IEBC OFFICIALS VERIFYING KENYATTA'S DOCUMENTS KENYATTA LOOKING AT SAMPLE OF BALLOT PAPER DOCUMENTS BEING VERIFIED (SOUNDBITE) (English) INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL AND BOUNDARIES COMMISSION (IEBC) CHAIRMAN, WAFULA CHEBUKATI, SAYING: "I have reviewed your documents and I hereby certifying that Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta is the presidential candidate and William Samoei Ruto his running mate in the forthcoming general elections on 8th of August this year." APPLAUSE, CHEBUKATI SHAKING HANDS WITH KENYATTA AND RUTO VARIOUS OF KENYATTA AND RUTO WALKING ON PAVEMENT TO MEET THEIR SUPPORTERS AT RALLY KENYATTA AND RUTO WALKING ONTO STAGE VARIOUS OF KENYATTA ADDRESSING HIS SUPPORTERS ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 16:56
- Keywords: William Ruto President Uhuru Kenyatta election
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- City: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW65AF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITOR PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS FLASH
Kenya's incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta and his running mate Deputy President William Ruto were approved by the country's electoral commission on Monday (May 29) to run in August's presidential election.
Kenyatta, who heads the ruling Jubilee Party, is running for a second and final five-year term after narrowly defeating opposition leader Raila Odinga in 2013.
55-year-old Kenyatta, the son of the country's first president, is touting an aggressive development drive, citing new roads, expansion of the electricity grid and a new Chinese-built railway linking the port of Mombasa to the capital Nairobi. But his government has been rocked by corruption scandals and strikes by doctors and university lecturers.
Running as presidential candidate again, 72-year-old Odinga has pledged to lower rocketing food prices, tackle corruption, reform the public sector and strengthen local government. He was cleared by the electoral commission on Sunday (May 28).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None