- Title: Indian woman sets Mount Everest summit record
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: MOUNT EVEREST, NEPAL (FILE - 2015) (REUTERS) MOUNT EVEREST
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 05:38
- Keywords: dual climb record Mt Everest
- Location: KATHMANDU, MOUNT EVEREST, NEPAL
- City: KATHMANDU, MOUNT EVEREST, NEPAL
- Country: Nepal
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IW2SED
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indian climber Anshu Jamsenpa has made the fastest double ascent of Mount Everest, becoming the first woman in the world to reach the highest point on earth twice in five days.
The 38-year-old mother of two climbed the peak along the Southeast Ridge route on May 16. She repeated the feat on May 21 improving a record set by a Nepali woman, Chhurim Sherpa, who made the dual climb in seven days in 2011. Both ascents will be certified by the government this week, officials have said.
Anshu, who like many people in her native Arunachal Pradesh state is called by her first name, also climbed the 8,850 metre (29,035 feet) summit twice in ten days in 2011. She climbed it again in 2013.
A motivational speaker and trainer in mountaineering, she said confidence in herself helped overcome fatigue and blisters on her feet to achieve the dual ascent.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None