- Title: Magnitude 6.6 quake hits Indonesia's Sulawesi island, causing damages and panic
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: POSO, CENTRAL SULAWESI PROVINCE, INDONESIA (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOT) PEOPLE ON MOTORCYCLE PASSING DAMAGED BUILDING DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF BUILDING WRECKAGE VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS GATHERING IN FRONT OF HOSPITAL PATIENTS BEING TAKEN OUT OF HOSPITAL PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL BUILDING PATIENT ON BED BEING MOVED OUT OF HOSPITAL LOCAL RESIDENT, ONI AND HER HUSBAND SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) LOCAL RESIDENT ONI SAYING: "Yes, the quake sound was very loud, we ran, and only brought our bags. Yes, there are tremors until now." POSO, CENTRAL SULAWESI PROVINCE, INDONESIA (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF LOCAL RESIDENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) LOCAL RESIDENT, RIDWAN SAYING: "Thank God, the condition of the community here is resuming back to normal now. Because they have been informed that there is no potential tsunami and the location of the quake was not underwater, but according to the information, it was on the land." VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDING IN THE MORNING
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 10:40
- Keywords: Earthquake Indonesia Magnitude 6.6 quake damaged buildings wreckage hospital patients evacuated continuing tremors
- Location: Poso, Central Sulawesi Province, Indonesia
- City: Poso, Central Sulawesi Province, Indonesia
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J14OXX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A powerful earthquake struck an area southeast of the Indonesian city of Palu and nearest to the town of Poso on the island of Sulawesi on Monday (May 29), prompting people to flee from their homes though there was no tsunami warning issued, officials said.
The local hospital evacuated its patients and many people stayed outside in the open due to ongoing aftershocks.
Darma Lebang, an official at Indonesia's search and rescue agency, said there were no reports of casualties but according to security personnel based in Poso, some older buildings in the town had been damaged.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) had initially put the magnitude of the quake at 6.9, though this was later reduced to 6.6 with a shallow depth of 9 km.
The epicentre was 79 km (49 miles) southeast of Palu, the USGS said, in an area northwest of the town of Poso.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None