- Title: Further aid arrives in flood-affected parts of Sri Lanka
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Sinhala) MINISTER OF HEALTH, RAJITHA SENARATNE, SAYING: "Our entire operation is targeted at people who were really affected by the disaster."
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 18:39
- Keywords: Flood Sri Lanka aid army supplies food disaster
- Location: COLOMBO AND MATARA, SRI LANKA
- City: COLOMBO AND MATARA, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J17NLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Further aid arrived in flooded parts of Sri Lanka on Tuesday (May 30) after India sent another ship of relief goods to help those affected by the disaster.
Boxes of food and aid supplies arrived in the port city of Colombo where they were then transported to Matara, one of the worst hit districts to the south of the country.
The floods and landslides, triggered by torrential rains in recent days, have killed some 200 people and disrupted the lives of over half million others. Over 80,000 people have been forced into temporary shelters and around 100 people remain missing.
Government and military officials said the army and air force - using boats and helicopters - had managed to reach most of those affected, but persistent rains and inaccessible roads were hampering efforts to airdrop and distribute aid in some areas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None