- Title: Gunmen kill aide of Afghan insurgent Hekmatyar, who made peace with Kabul
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING TOWARDS MOSQUE MOSQUE WHERE FORMER SECRETARY TO GULBUDDIN HEKMATYAR, MOHAMMAD FAREED, WAS SHOT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE MOSQUE EYEWITNESS, GHULAM ZAIB, POINTING TO BLOOD STAIN ON GROUND OUTSIDE MOSQUE BLOOD ON THE GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Pashto) LOCAL EYEWITNESS, GHULAM ZAIB, SAYING: "We came out of the mosque after the (morning) prayers. A motorcyclist was standing outside here. Haji Sahib (Fareed) was the first one to come out of the mosque. He (the motorcyclist) first shot him in the head, then in the mouth, then in his chest and finally in the back. Then he fired three or four shots in the air, and drove off." MAN WALKING INTO ALLEY WHERE FAREED'S HOUSE IS LOCATED CAR PARKED OUTSIDE FAREED'S HOUSE CHILDREN SITTING OUTSIDE HOUSE EXTERIOR OF FAREED'S HOUSE MOURNERS SITTING INSIDE FAREED'S HOUSE VARIOUS OF MOURNERS PRAYING FOR FAREED CHAIRS ARRANGED FOR FUNERAL GUESTS
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 17:19
- Keywords: Gulbuddin Hekmatyar Afghan warlord killed Kabul Mohammad Fareed
- Location: PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN
- City: PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J173UV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Gunmen in northwestern Pakistan on Tuesday (May 30) gunned down the former secretary to Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, an Afghan warlord turned insurgent who signed a peace deal with the government in Kabul, officials said.
Hekmatyar's Hizb-i-Islami party identified the slain man as Mohammad Fareed and blamed "elements against peace" for the killing. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Fareed was returning home from a mosque in the Taj Abad area of Peshawar when the gunmen opened fire, Peshawar police officer Shaid Ahmad said. An eyewitness also recalled the incident to Reuters, saying Fareed, whom he referred to as Haji Sahib, was shot at least four times.
Hizb-i-Islamai spokesman Qareeb Ur Rahman Sayeed confirmed Farid was Hekmatyar's former secretary and a senior party member.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None