- Title: Security reinforcements arrive at Kabul blast site, residents inspect damage
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SECURITY, EMERGENCY SERVICES AT BLAST SITE AFGHAN SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING ARMED VEHICLE ARRIVING SECURITY REINFORCEMENTS GETTING OUT OF VEHICLE VARIOUS OF SECURITY REINFORCEMENTS STANDING NEAR BLAST SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) SPOKESPERSON FOR AFGHANISTAN'S MINISTRY OF INTERIOR, NAJIB DANISH, SAYING: "Our primary reports indicate that it was a car bomb attack and so far more than 50 people are killed or wounded." AFGHAN SECURITY PERSONNEL WALKING PAST VARIOUS OF ARMED SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING PEOPLE SWEEPING SMASHED GLASS FROM FLOOR OF SHOP SMASHED GLASS ON FLOOR VARIOUS OF BUILDING WITH SMASHED WINDOWS VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS LOOKING AT SMASHED SHOP FRONT WINDOWS MAN WITH WOUNDED LEG WALKING PAST WITH TWO WOMEN SECURITY SPEAKING TO DRIVER OF AMBULANCE SECURITY, EMERGENCY SERVICES ON ROAD NEAR BLAST SITE
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 07:41
- Keywords: Afghanistan blast Kabul blast Afghanistan explosion car bomb foreign embassies blast damage
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J64VUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Security reinforcements arrived at the site of a huge car bomb in Afghanistan's capital on Wednesday (May 31) as the death toll from the blast continued to rise, according to a public health official.
The official said at least 15 people had been killed and 300 wounded in the blast, which occurred during the morning rush hour in a busy part of Kabul that houses many foreign embassies and government departments. It is unclear whether German embassy staff near to where the blast took place were injured or hurt, a security source said.
Residents on Wednesday afternoon were seen inspecting damage to their homes and businesses. The explosion shattered windows and blew doors off their hinges in houses hundreds of metres (yards) away.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None