- Title: Cardiff prepares to host biggest ever sporting event in Wales
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: CARDIFF, WALES, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) SEAGULL IN RIVER TAFF RIVER TAFF / VIEW OF PONTCANNA FIELDS PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH PARK CLOSE OF FLOWERS VARIOUS OF PONTCANNA FIELDS WHERE CAMP CARDIFF WILL BE SET UP TO OFFER EXTRA ACCOMMODATION FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL CAMPING NINJA'S GEOFF VAUGHAN EXPLAINING HOW THE SPACE WILL BE USED WHEN CAMP CARDIFF OPENS / VIEW OF PONTCANNA FIELDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAMPING NINJA, GEOFF VAUGHAN, SAYING: "We were approached about a year ago by the Cardiff authorities and they realized there might be an accommodation shortage of available bed space in Cardiff. So we started working on some kind of plans for temporary accommodation here in the city centre." WOMAN WITH TWO DOGS IN FIELD VIEW OF PONTCANNA FIELDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAMPING NINJA, GEOFF VAUGHAN, SAYING: "It's a lot less than 4,500 pound. So our prices start at 50 pound per person per night based on a three night stay. So if you were two of you coming that's three nights accommodation for 300 pound. And then it goes upwards into our kind of glamping areas and VIP areas with pods with power, with USB charging, built-in lights, the whole shebang. So starting from 50 pound per person." BIRD WALKING ON GRASS / CYCLISTS RIDING THROUGH FIELD (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAMPING NINJA, GEOFF VAUGHAN, TALKING ABOUT HOW THIS PROJECT IS THE HARDEST CAMPING NINJA HAS HAD TO WORK ON, SAYING: "It is. It is because although you can go on sale a year before people aren't making a decision to come until probably three weeks before unless you're psychic so... to know whether your team is getting in. So logistically we can plan for it and put in the infrastructure and things that need to go in but until we know which teams are in the final and that affects everything; the language of marketing, the campaigns, the advertising - it affects everything all the messaging So it's definitely definitely an interesting one."
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 08:20
- Keywords: Cardiff Champions League final accommodation transport Juventus Real Madrid
- Location: CARDIFF, WALES, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: CARDIFF, WALES, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J651DR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cardiff is preparing to host the Champions League final and welcome up to 170,000 people to the city on June 3 when Juventus play Real Madrid.
It's the largest sporting event Wales has ever hosted but with that comes several logistical issues.
The Welsh capital only has 4,000 hotel rooms, a fraction of the 132,000 rooms that Berlin had at their disposal for the 2015 final. It's resulted in hotel room prices soaring; one hotel in Swansea is reportedly charging 4,650 pound per night per room. Cardiff's local authority has looked to alleviate the accommodation shortage by having a camp which can house 5,000 people in two large fields which are a 20-minute walk from the stadium.
Camping Ninja are looking after the site at Pontcanna Fields, called Camp Cardiff. The company has experience of hosting such camp sites at the 2012 London Olympics and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Most of the 170,000 people will arrive in the city by train and the head of stations for the Welsh railway operator, Arriva Trains Wales acknowledges the Champions League final is the biggest event they've ever had to plan for.
Cardiff will also host the Women's Champions League final between Lyon and Paris St Germain at the Cardiff City Stadium on June 1.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None