- Title: Trump's loss is Li's gain as Berlin rolls out red carpet for China's PM
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: MERKEL AND LI ENTERING CHANCELLERY
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 17:04
- Keywords: Li Keqiang Angela Merkel chancellery military honours
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036J6564N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:China's Prime Minister Li Keqiang arrived in Berlin on Wednesday (May 31) at the start of a European tour, poised to jump into the global climate change leadership gap left by U.S. President Donald Trump's impending withdrawal from the Paris climate pact.
China's number two official was received with military honours at Chancellor Angela Merkel's office, becoming the second leader of a rising Asian giant to visit in as many days after India's Narendra Modi.
The flurry of visits come as concern grows in traditionally Atlanticist Germany at Trump's forthcoming announcement on the Paris Climate Accord, designed to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions scientists blame for rising sea levels and droughts. One source briefed on the decision said Trump would pull out of the pact.
China, long recognised as the world's dominant trading power, now hopes that by showing leadership on the fight against climate change it can translate its economic might into yet greater political influence.
After Berlin, Li will continue to Brussels, where, at a China-European Union summit, both sides are expected to make a declaration on their commitment to tackling climate change - a proclamation designed to send a strong message to Trump.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None