- Title: German defence minister meets her new French counterpart
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTRY / MILITARY HONOURS AWAITING MOTORCADE ARRIVING SOLDIERS GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTER URSULA VON DER LEYEN AND FRENCH DEFENCE MINISTER SYLVIE GOULARD ARRIVING FRENCH AND GERMAN FLAGS
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 16:05
- Keywords: defence France Germany Sylvie Goulard Ursula von der Leyen
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG4PXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Defence Minister met her new French counterpart for a first bilateral meeting on Thursday (June 1) in Berlin.
France's new Armed Forces Minister Sylvie Goulard vowed previously to press ahead with European defence projects and work more closely with Germany.
A European lawmaker who speaks four languages including German, Goulard is respected in Brussels as a straight talker, having acted as adviser to former European Commission president Romano Prodi.
Von der Leyen said that France and Germany would together "bring about more Europe" and announced the establishment of a new European command centre as a contact point for foreign missions.
Von der Leyen and Goulard are two of four women who are currently heading up defence among the EU's largest economies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None