- Title: Turkey holds ceremony for soldiers killed in helicopter crash
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: SIRNAK, TURKEY (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) SOLDIERS LINED UP AND WAITING FOR CEREMONY VARIOUS OF MINISTERS AND TURKISH CHIEF OF STAFF GENERAL HULUSI AKAR ATTENDING CEREMONY GUARDS OF HONOUR CARRYING COFFINS HELICOPTER PILOTS WATCHING CEREMONY COFFINS BEING PLACED ON PLATFORM CAMERAMEN FILMING VARIOUS OF GUARDS OF HONOUR STANDING BESIDE COFFINS
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 10:35
- Keywords: Sirnak military casualties crash helicopter Turkey
- Location: SIRNAK, TURKEY
- City: SIRNAK, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG545J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkey held a military ceremony on Thursday (June 1) for 13 soldiers who were killed when their Cougar military helicopter crashed after getting caught in a high-voltage power line.
The AS 532 Cougar crashed shortly after taking off at around 9:55 p.m. (1855 GMT) on Wednesday (May 31) in the Senoba district of Turkey's southeastern Sirnak province.
Six of the bodies were flown to the capital Ankara after Thursday's ceremony for autopsy, and the remainder were to be flown to their respective hometowns for funeral services, according to the Turkish military.
Presidential sources said President Tayyip Erdogan had been briefed on the crash following a National Security Council meeting earlier on Wednesday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None