- Title: Russia struck no secret agreements with Trump team - Putin
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA (JUNE 2, 2017) (RUSSIAN POOL) PANEL DISCUSSION PARTICIPANTS SITTING ON STAGE DURING FORUM AUDIENCE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(Hillary Clinton's election campaign) behaved unscrupulously towards other candidates from the Democratic Party. (CLOSE OF PUTIN) But when this information (leaked from Democratic National Committee) was made public, the leader of the election headquarters practically (WIDE OF STAGE) admitted that it was true and resigned. Is this (CLOSE OF PUTIN) disinformation? It is true information. (MEDIUM SHOT OF PUTIN) Who leaked it? (HOST DISCUSSION) Is it important? It was important (CLOSE OF PUTIN) to look around, (MEDIUM OF PUTIN) to apologise to the people and say before resigning 'we will not repeat these mistakes again'." WIDE OF FORUM (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "As for interference. You should see what your colleagues are doing here. (AUDIENCE LAUGHING) They are knee deep in our internal affairs. They sat on our heads, (MEDIUM OF PUTIN) swinging their legs and chewing gum. Having fun. (PEOPLE LAUGHING) It is systematic, over many years, (WIDE OF STAGE) rude, absolutely unceremonious, even at the level of (CLOSE OF PUTIN) diplomatic institutions, intrusion into our internal policy. (MEDIUM SHOT OF PUTIN) Finish it, you will feel better, (CLOSE OF PUTIN AND DISCUSSION HOST) and so will we." WIDE OF AUDIENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "They say such nonsense. It is unclear where these people (CLOSE OF PUTIN) who spread this information came from. (INDIAN PRIME MINISTER NARENDRA MODI AND DISCUSSION HOST) It is simply a catastrophe. (MEDIUM OF PUTIN) Our ambassador met with someone. What else should the ambassador do? It is his job, (AUDIENCE) he is paid to do it." WIDE OF STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(Michael Flynn and Russian ambassador spoke) just general words that we need to think about how to build our relations. So what, shouldn't we build relations? (WIDE OF STAGE) Should we do everything without any prior preparation (CLOSE OF PUTIN) and thinking? Nothing concrete (was discussed). (MEDIUM OF PUTIN) Nil. Zero. Absolutely nothing." WIDE OF STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(STARTS OVER SHOT OF MODI) No, to put it curtly, (WIDE OF STAGE) no, there were no (MEDIUM OF PUTIN) agreements (in secret with Trump campaign). (PUTIN AND MODI) They didn't even get near it, they didn't even manage to start any kind of talks." WIDE OF STAGE
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 16:11
- Keywords: Vladimir Putin Donald Trump Russian ambassador to U.S. Russian diplomat Trump election economic forum St Petersburg Russia
- Location: ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- City: ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL56BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: President Vladimir Putin on Friday (June 2) dismissed allegations there had been a secret deal between Moscow and Donald Trump before his inauguration as U.S. president.
U.S. intelligence officials have said Russia tried to interfere in the U.S. election by hacking Trump's opponents, a charge that has deepened a political scandal which has focused on whether Trump had improper ties with Moscow, something he flatly denies.
Asked about a possible deal between Trump and Moscow, Putin, addressing the St Petersburg International Economic Forum, said: "No, to put it curtly no, there were no agreements."
Apparently irritated by having to discuss the matter, Putin accused the United States of having been "knee deep" in Russian internal affairs for years.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None