- Title: Mancini announced as new Zenit boss
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MAY 14, 2012) (REUTERS) VIEW FROM TOWN TOWER AND CLOCK TO CELEBRATIONS IN SQUARE FANS WAVING FLAGS MAN CITY CAPTAIN VINCENT KOMPANY LIFTING THE PREMIER LEAGUE TROPHY
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 14:44
- Keywords: Italy Russia football soccer Zenit St. Petersburg Roberto Mancini
- Location: DOHA, QATAR / MANCHESTER AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: DOHA, QATAR / MANCHESTER AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JG6FJZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Zenit St Petersburg appointed former Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini as its new manager on Thursday (June 1) after failing to qualify for the Champions League for the second year in a row.
Zenit, which finished third in the Russian Premier League, said in a statement the club had signed the 52-year-old Italian on a three-year contract with the possibility of a two-year extension.
A source familiar with the contract told Reuters that Mancini would be making 4.5 million euros ($5 million) a year.
Mancini is one of the highest-profile foreign coaches to join the Russian Premier League in recent years.
Zenit, which is bankrolled by Russian energy giant Gazprom , has used its deep pockets to attract pricey foreign managers in the past, including Dick Advocaat, Luciano Spalletti and Andre Villas-Boas.
Mancini has coached a number of elite sides including Inter Milan, Galatasaray and Manchester City.
In 2012 Mancini led Man City to the club's first English Premier League title in 44 years.
He parted ways with Inter Milan last summer after two seasons as head coach, ending his second stint as manager of the Serie A side.
Zenit said last week it had fired Romanian trainer Mircea Lucescu after one season with the club, without providing a reason for his dismissal.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.