- Title: Timeline of events before and after Brexit, as Britain heads for an election
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: BOATS COVERED IN UNION JACK AND ST GEORGE'S FLAGS, ONE WITH SIGN READING "THE ONLY WAY IS BREXIT" CLOSE OF THE "THE ONLY WAY IS BREXIT" SIGN. ANTI-BREXIT "IN" CAMPAIGNERS WAVING "IN SIGNS BOB GELDOF WITH "IN" CAMPAIGNERS ON BOAT AS THE SONG "IN CROWD" PLAYS
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 07:02
- Keywords: Scotland EU referendum Northern Ireland Article 50 Brexit David Cameron Nigel Farage independence referendum Theresa May election Jean-Claude Juncker European Union Nicola Sturgeon
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0076J6P4CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Prime Minister Theresa May last month called for an election on June 8, saying she needed to strengthen her hand in divorce talks with the European Union by shoring up support for her Brexit plan.
She had been reluctant about bringing forward the election from 2020, but decided it was necessary to win support for her ruling Conservative Party's efforts to press ahead with Britain's departure from the EU.
On June 23, 2016 Briton's voted to leave the European Union by 52 percent to 48 percent.
The shock result bitterly divided the country and sparked protests by pro-European Union supporters.
UKIP leader, Nigel Farage, the most well-known face of Brexit, celebrated calling it Britain's Independence Day.
A Supreme Court case forced the government to seek parliamentary approval to trigger Article 50 and in March 2017 May formally did so.
Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon now wants a second independence referendum after Scotland voted to stay within the EU in the June 23 poll.
In Northern Ireland there are fears that Brexit could bring the reimposition of a hard border between the north and the Republic.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.