- Title: Ukraine mourns late head of Greek Catholic church
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: PROCESSION IN MOTION WOMEN WATCHING FROM BALCONY VARIOUS OF PROCESSION MOVING
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 15:56
- Keywords: church procession farewell ceremony Ukraine Greek Catholic church Lubomyr Husar
- Location: LVIV, UKRAINE
- City: LVIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JQ447T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Thousands of Lviv residents joined a mourning procession on Saturday (June 3) to pay respect to the Catholic spiritual leader, Cardinal Lubomyr Husar, who passed away on May 31 at age of 85.
Cardinal Lubomyr Husar was the Major Archbishop of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, one of the largest Eastern churches in full communion with the Holy See.
Believers joined in prayer at the steps of the cathedral and later followed the coffin through Lviv streets.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lviv, which was at that time a Polish city. He fled with his parents during World War II to Austria and then to the United States in 1949.
He was ordained a priest in 1958, and was a pastor of Holy Trinity Ukraine Catholic Church in New York.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union Lubomyr Husar returned to Ukraine and became a key figure in revival of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, banned in the USSR by the Communist regime He resigned in 2011 due to ill health but remained one of the most respected spiritual leaders of Ukraine.
The coffin will be transported to Kiev for the believers who live in the Ukrainian capital to pay tribute to the cardinal. The funeral is set for Monday (June 5).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.