- Title: Deadly blasts hit funeral mourners after protests in Afghan capital
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: **** WARNING CONTAINS PARTIAL NUDITY **** VARIOUS OF DOCTORS TREATING PARTIALLY CLOTHED WOUNDED MAN
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 15:23
- Keywords: Kabul hospital aftermath protests Afghan police funeral explosions
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JQ43EV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PARTIAL NUDITY
A series of blasts in Kabul on Saturday (June 3) killed at least 19 people at a funeral for one of the victims of clashes between police and protesters a day before.
Kabul's Italian-run Emergency Hospital, which has treated a stream of wounded over the past few days, said 19 people had been reported killed and 16 wounded had been brought to the hospital. The interior ministry said there were six dead and 87 wounded.
Reuters footage showed some of the victims of the attack being treated at the hospital.
Saturday's blasts shattered an uneasy calm which had descended after authorities blocked the streets of Kabul in a bid to prevent a repeat of the bloody confrontation between protesters and police on Friday (June 2).
The violence, fuelled by public anger over the inability of President Ashraf Ghani's divided government to ensure security in Kabul, has exacerbated political tensions between rival factions, and Ghani issued a call for unity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None