- Title: Police identify lone gunman in Manila casino attack
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ALBAYALDE AND POLICE OFFICER PRESENTING STILL IMAGES OF GUNMAN JESSIE CARLOS STILL IMAGE OF JESSIE CARLOS ALBAYALDE ENDING NEWS BRIEFING
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 07:39
- Keywords: gambler in debt police identifies gunman Philippines police news conference identifies guman
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JV3D51
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Philippine police on Sunday (June 4) identified the gunman behind an attack on a casino that killed 36 people as a heavily indebted local man addicted to gambling, ruling out any involvement by Islamic militants.
The gunman was named as Jessie Javier Carlos, a 42-year old Filipino, who stormed the casino in Manila on Friday (June 2), setting gaming tables alight and killing dozens of people who suffocated in thick smoke. Islamic state claimed the attack, but officials insisted it was a botched robbery.
The father of three and a former government employee, killed himself in a hotel room after being shot and wounded by security officers, police said. He had a bank account with an outstanding debt of 4 million pesos ($81,000).
Carlos' parents both joined the Sunday's news conference and asked for forgiveness from the families of the victims.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.