- Title: Former Ivory Coast midfielder Tiote dies aged 30
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (JUNE 6, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) GENERAL MANAGER OF CHINESE FOOTBALL CLUB BEIJING ENTERPRISES, YANG JUNSHENG, SAYING: "Tiote received emergency treatment, and we also informed the relevant department promptly. Our club will proactively work with relevant department to determine the cause of his death." MEDIA SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) GENERAL MANAGER OF CHINESE FOOTBALL CLUB BEIJING ENTERPRISES, YANG JUNSHENG, SAYING: "Our club believes and will fully support the team to make careful preparations for matches. Tiote died, but we should carry on the spirit and pursuit of soccer he has brought to us." GENERAL MANAGER OF CHINESE FOOTBALL CLUB BEIJING ENTERPRISES, YANG JUNSHENG, STANDING UP EMPTY SOCCER PITCH VARIOUS OF FANS STANDING IN SILENT TRIBUTE BUNCH OF FLOWERS ON THE SOCCER PITCH (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 36-YEAR-OLD FAN, XIAO YIPING, SAYING: "Sad, extremely grieved. (I) was shedding tears at that moment and could not accept the fact. I can't hardly accept it. I had never expected that that such thing would happen to him." FANS BOWING, PAYING RESPECTS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 19-YEAR-OLD FAN, GONG JIANCHEN, SAYING: "First of all, I hope he can be returned to his roots, his motherland. And then we hope the club can retire his soccer jersey number 24 because as a foreign player, he gave his life here, and the club should do something." EMPTY SOCCER PITCH SIGN READING (Chinese and English): "OUR LEAGUE OUR LEGEND" DOOR OF THE CLUB'S LOCKER ROOM SIGN ON THE DOOR READING (Chinese and English): "HOME TEAM LOCKER ROOM FOR BEIJING ENTERPRISES CLUB SIGN READING (Chinese): "THE NATIONAL OLYMPIC SPORTS CENTER STADIUM" / RAINDROPS FALLING ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 06:51
- Keywords: Beijing BG football club Ivory Coast Cheick Tiote soccer
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K53ADB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former Ivory Coast international Cheick Tiote died in hospital on Monday (June 5) after collapsing during a training session, Chinese club Beijing Enterprises has confirmed.
The Chinese second flight club announced his death at the age of 30 during a news conference on Tuesday (June 6), adding that they would "carry on" his "spirit and pursuit of soccer". They had previously posted the confirmation on their Weibo social media account, saying he had "fainted without any warning" during training.
The club also said it is determined to work with the relevant departments to find out the cause of the former Twente and Newcastle United midfielder's death.
Fans were also seen expressing condolences in the rain at the National Olympic Sports Center Stadium in Beijing, the club's home.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None