- Title: South Korean President marks the countryâ€™s Memorial Day
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENT, MOON JAE-IN, SAYING: "The government and I will respect and keep the history of patriotism. The people, who contributed to keep the Republic of Korea, please take the lead in uniting our country with patriotism."
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 05:50
- Keywords: Memorial Day Moon Jae-in President South Korea
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026K535MT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's President Moon Jae-in attended the 62nd Memorial Day ceremony on Tuesday (June 6) to commemorate the South Korean men and woman who died during battle.
During a speech, Moon asked the people to show a spirit of patriotism and unity. The 62nd Memorial Day falls less than a month after Moon's presidential victory which was expected to end months of political turmoil.
Memorial day remembers primarily soldiers who fought in the 1950 Korean War. Twenty-one countries sent around two million troops to fight, 140,000 of them were killed or wounded, Seoul's had said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None