- Title: U.S. calls for reform of U.N. Human Rights Council
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (JUNE 6, 2017) (REUTERS) COUNCIL MEMBERS LISTENING LARGE SCREEN SHOWING HALEY'S ADDRESS ISRAEL REPRESENTATIVES TALKING FORUM IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF HALEY SHAKING HANDS WITH COUNCIL MEMBERS AND LEAVING ROOM
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 14:19
- Keywords: reform Nikki Haley U.S. abmassador to U.N. U.S. human rights council United Nations
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056K548CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Trump administration gave formal notice on Tuesday (June 6) that it is reviewing its participation in the U.N. Human Rights Council and called for its reform.
The Council's critical stance of Israel has long been a contentious issue for the United States, Israel's main ally.
The body has taken a strong position against Israel's continued occupation of territory seized in the 1967 Middle East war, its treatment of Palestinians and its building of Jewish settlements. Most countries and international bodies consider the settlements, in areas the Palestinians envisage as part of an eventual independent state, illegal.
Washington says the Council is stacked with opponents of Israel and boycotted it for three years under President George W. Bush before rejoining under Barack Obama in 2009.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None