- Title: Demonstrators, security prepare for highly-anticipated OAS General Assembly
- Date: 18th June 2017
- Summary: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (JUNE 18, 2017) (REUTERS) TOURISTS BY LIFE-SIZED LETTERING FOR CANCUN PEOPLE IN WATER AT BEACH PEOPLE WALKING ON BEACH MUNICIPAL POLICE QUESTIONING MOTORCYCLIST CLOSE-UP OF POLICE OFFICER WITH HIS HAND ON HIS GUN GENERAL VIEW OF POLICE OFFICERS QUESTIONING MOTORCYCLIST POLICE CHECKPOINT IN STYLE OF HUT BY ROAD BANNER THAT READS "OAS: YOUR VOTE CAN STOP THE MURDEROUS DICTATORSHIP" IN REFERENCE TO VENEZUELA PROTESTERS HOLDING UP BANNERS CALLING FOR ACTION FROM OAS ON VENEZUELA MESSAGE ON BACK OF PROTESTERS T-SHIRT THAT READS "OAS: DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON US" PROTESTERS WITH THEIR BACKS TURNED WITH MESSAGES ON THEIR SHIRTS THAT READ "OAS: DON'T TURN YOUR BACK ON US" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) VENEZUELAN PROTESTER, MARTIN PAZ, SAYING: "We are here to be heard, to be the voice of 30 million Venezuelans who are fighting for democracy, fighting for freedom in Venezuela. We are also responsible before the 47 nations of the OAS. We demand this very important body to resolve the crisis in our country, for ambassadors to have not taken the right side of history, who have not taken the side of human rights and liberty to do so because each day that passes the crisis in Venezuela is claiming more lives and is causing more pain to Venezuelan families." PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER THAT READ "OAS: VENEZUELA DEPENDS ON YOU" MORE OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS GIRL SITTING ON FATHER'S SHOULDERS DURING PROTEST PROTESTERS GATHERED WITH SECURITY VEHICLE IN THE FOREGROUND ARMED SECURITY PALM TREES LINING STREET PEOPLE GATHERED AT CONFERENCE CENTRE THAT WILL HOST OAS SUMMIT SIGN FOR THE OAS'S GENERAL ASSEMBLY PEOPLE AT LOBBY OF CONFERENCE CENTRE FLAGS FROM OAS MEMBER STATES FLAG FROM HOST COUNTRY MEXICO IN THE CENTRE VARIOUS OF MAN ADJUSTING FLAGS TO HAVE EMBLEMS FACING OUT SECURITY AND PERSONNEL AT CONFERENCE CENTRE MAN BEING SCANNED BY SECURITY PERSONNEL AT CENTRE LOGO OF MOON PALACE, VENUE OF OAS GENERAL VIEW OF PEOPLE ASSEMBLED IN LOBBY
- Embargoed: 2nd July 2017 20:50
- Keywords: Organization of American States General Assembly Venezuela Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- City: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Budget/Taxation/Revenue,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LT1WLF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Security was high in Cancun on Sunday (June 18) on the eve of the Organisation of American States' (OAS) General Assembly, with the crisis in Venezuela set to top the agenda at the meeting.
The 47th General Assembly brings together foreign ministers and their delegates from across the Americas. Called "Strengthening Dialogue and Concerted Action for Prosperity", the meeting hopes to build relations across the region.
But with an unfolding crisis in Venezuela, the country's diaspora in Mexico has converged on Cancun to pressure the OAS to act on Venezuela. The group, once dominated by influential leftist governments from countries such as Argentina and Brazil, has clashed for months with Venezuela.
OAS chief Luis Almagro has said Venezuela should be suspended if it does not hold general elections "as quickly as possible", amidst widespread anger in Venezuela against President Nicolas Maduro over food shortages, a flailing economy and rampant crime.
Venezuela's expats now want the OAS to ramp up pressure on Caracas.
However, Venezuela remains defiant. In April, it said it was withdrawing from the OAS deepening the diplomatic isolation of the socialist-run nation that is already out of step with Latin America's steady shift to the right.
The OAS General Assembly runs from June 19 to June 21 in Cancun.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None