- Title: Car on Champs Elysees contained explosives - French Interior Minister
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE VANS PARKED IN STREET
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 17:17
- Keywords: Champs Elysees Gerard Collomb France car explosive state of emergency
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0056LY3QRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on Monday (June 19) that a driver rammed a car carrying weapons and explosives into a police van as it drove down Paris' Champs Elysees avenue, adding that the man died in the incident and the situation was under control.
Collomb added that the arsenal was enough to have caused a blast.
A police source told Reuters that the man was known to security services.
President Emmanuel Macron said last month his government would ask parliament to extend wider search and arrest powers granted under a state of emergency called after Islamist gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in and around Paris in November 2015.
Some magistrates and human rights groups have protested in recent weeks against the proposal that would enshrine in ordinary law some security measures currently in place under the state of emergency.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None