- Title: Muslims in Indonesia prepare to celebrate Eid al-Fitr
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JUNE 7, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING TO EXCHANGE CASH INTO NEW NOTES AN ELDERLY WOMAN COUNTING MONEY A GROUP OF PEOPLE EXCHANGING MONEY ELDERLY MAN AT MOBILE COUNTER FOR MONEY EXCHANGE VARIOUS OF A CUSTOMER KEEPING NEW MONEY IN AN ENVELOPE PEOPLE QUEUING (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) RESIDENT, SRI HARYATI SAYING: "Actually it's hard to see if it's (exchanging money) important to me or not, but whenever I'm giving the festive money to my relatives when I return to my hometown it always makes them happy to get the new notes." PEOPLE QUEUING JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE GATHERED POLICE DOG POLICE WITH DOG POLICE GATHERED MEDIA FILMING INDONESIA POLICE CHIEF, TITO KARNAVIAN GIVING SPEECH (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) INDONESIA POLICE CHIEF, TITO KARNAVIAN SAYING: "We are required to secure people from conventional crime such as pickpockets, stealing and robbery. And the important thing is securing them from threats of terror activities and terrorism." POLICE ANTI-TERROR UNIT LINING UP RIFLE BARREL SHOES POLICE ANTI-TERROR UNIT LINING UP JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JUNE 10, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED IN SHOPPING MALL FOR RAMADAN MIDNIGHT SALE EVENT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SHOPPING (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) RESIDENT, SRI IRIANTI SAYING: "We are looking primarily for clothes for Eid prayers, after that we are looking for things especially to give to our security personnel, give to orphans and also for our respective relatives." PEOPLE QUEUING IN FRONT OF BAG STORE SIGN READING (English): "JAKARTA GREAT SALE FESTIVAL 2017" JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JUNE 18, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON A NARROW STREET TO A TRADITIONAL MARKET PEOPLE QUEUING AT A SNACK STORE STORE KEEPER WEIGHING A SNACK BUYERS PEOPLE QUEUING AT A SNACK STORE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) RESIDENT, SITI ROHANA SAYING: "The price is affordable, the place is clean enough and also there are many choices of snacks REPORTER ASKING: "So what you will do with the snack? "For Eid al-Fitr festive and giving to relatives too." VARIOUS OF A STORE KEEPER SERVING CUSTOMERS SNACK STORE
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 06:21
- Keywords: Eid al-Fitr Indonesia preparation police operation shopping religion
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016M7ZXP5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: This week, Muslims in Indonesia queued up to exchange cash for new notes and did their shopping in preparation for Eid al-Fitr, an important festival that will mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
Markets and shopping malls were bustling with shoppers buying clothes and food ahead of the big feast on Sunday (June 25).
With big crowds and celebrations expected, security has also been stepped up.
Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country. Around 88 percent of its population of 237 million is Muslims.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None