- Title: Indonesian Muslims travel home to celebrate Eid al-Fitr
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (JUNE 21, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SENEN TRAIN STATION PEOPLE GATHERING AT STATION'S ENTRANCE SIGN AT ENTRANCE READING (Bahasa Indonesia): "GOING HOME AND GETTING ALONG TOGETHER" PEOPLE QUEUING SECURITY CHECKING TICKETS PEOPLE QUEUING PEOPLE CARRYING THEIR BELONGINGS ON THEIR HEAD PEOPLE ENTERING STATION WAITING ROOM PEOPLE QUEUING PEOPLE SITTING IN WAITING ROOM BEFORE BOARDING (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) TRAVELLER HEADING TO SURABAYA, EAST JAVA, ISNAWATI, SAYING: "Every year we must going back to our home town to stay in touch with all our family members." (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) TRAVELLER HEADING TO SEMARANG, CENTRAL JAVA, EDDY PURNOMO, SAYING: "Yes every year we must go to our respective home town during Eid al-Fitr and its our tradition to meet our parents so must go home every year." PEOPLE OUTSIDE QUEUING, AS SEEN FROM INSIDE STATION PEOPLE QUEUING TO ENTER CARRIAGE WITH THEIR BELONGINGS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING CARRIAGE WITH THEIR BELONGINGS PEOPLE INSIDE CARRIAGE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE INSIDE CARRIAGE AND PLACING THEIR BELONGING ON RACK CONDUCTOR GIVING SIGNAL FOR TRAIN TO DEPART VARIOUS OF TRAIN LEAVING THE STATION VARIOUS OF BUSES AT KAMPUNG RAMBUTAN BUS TERMINAL VARIOUS OF TRAVELLERS STOWING THEIR LUGGAGE TRAVELLERS HEADING TO THEIR BUSES TRAVELLERS CROWDED IN BETWEEN BUSES BUS DRIVERS WAITING NEAR BUSES BUSES PARKED PEOPLE WAITING BEFORE BOARDING THEIR BUSES PEOPLE SITTING ON FLOOR WAITING TRAVELLERS SITTING BAGS PILED UP VARIOUS OF TRAVELLERS QUEUING TO GET ON BUS TRAVELLERS INSIDE BUS BOY WEARING HAT TRAVELLERS SITTING ON BUS SIGN ON FRONT OF BUS READING (Bahasa Indonesia) "SINGAPARNA, GARUT - JAKARTA VIA CIPULARANG TOLL WAY (DIRECTION)" BUS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 06:07
- Keywords: Eid al-Fitr Indonesia exodus Islamic biggest festival Jakarta
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MCZXHH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Millions of Indonesian Muslims on Thursday (June 22) started their journeys home to celebrate the end of the fasting month.
Eid al-Fitr, which falls on Sunday (June 25) this year, is traditionally celebrated by tucking into a large feast with family members.
Indonesia's Development and Islamic Studies (IDEAS) has projected there will be twice the number of travellers this year compared to the last, with 33 million people expected to be travelling on bus and rail networks on their way home for the celebration. Many of them will be travelling from the Indonesia's capital Jakarta, where they work.
Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country. Around 88 percent of its population of 237 million is Muslim.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None