- Title: EU summit welcomes newcomers Macron and Varadkar
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EUROPEAN FLAGS OUTSIDE COUNCIL BUILDING
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 16:03
- Keywords: EU summit Tusk Varadkar Macron
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MD1GSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Among the 28 leaders heading to Brussels for a European summit on Thursday (June 22) there were a couple of new faces - namely those of French President Emmanuel Macron and Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar.
Macron's victory in May's election against anti-EU rightwinger Marine Le Pen was greeted with sighs of relief by many in Brussels. He had put reinforcing the Union at the heart of his manifesto and he arrived at the summit saying he wanted an ambitious Europe.
Varadkar only took office last week, with an early challenge being Brexit negotiations which will have to tackle the issue of Britain's land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
The two men mark a generational shift in European leaders - both are in their 30s.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None