- Title: Dozens killed in Afghanistan as car bomb hits bank branch
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: LASHKAR GAH, HELMAND, AFGHANISTAN (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) SECURITY PERSONNEL WALKING NEAR BLAST SITE POLICE PICK UP WITH CROWDS AND POLICE LOOKING AT DEBRIS POLICE PICK UP CARRYING WOUNDED DESTROYED VEHICLE AND MOTORCYCLES EMERGENCY PERSONNEL CARRYING BODY ON STRETCHER TO AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (Pashto) BAHADOR KHAN, GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE SAYING: "I came here to collect my salary. I was waiting here when suddenly an explosion happen. Some thirty people were killed or wounded here. Ambulance took away the wounded and dead bodies to the hospital. We are surprised at why people are getting killed in this holy month of Ramadan."
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 12:22
- Keywords: Afghanistan attack car bomb hits bank branch dozens killed
- Location: LASHKAR GAH, HELMAND PROVINCE, AFGHANISTAN
- City: LASHKAR GAH, HELMAND PROVINCE, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MD066D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A car bomb exploded outside a bank in Lashkar Gah, capital of the southern Afghan province of Helmand on Thursday (June 22), killing and wounding dozens of civilians and members of the security forces waiting to collect their pay, officials said.
Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor, said at least 20 people had been killed and more than 50 wounded, including members of the police and army, civilians and staff of the New Kabul Bank branch where the attack took place.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack but insurgent groups, including the Taliban, have in the past targeted banks where police, soldiers and other government employees collect their pay.
Emergency workers and passers-by tried to help the injured, who were strewn among the dead. Ambulances and private cars ferried the victims to hospitals.
The blast came as Afghans were preparing to celebrate next week's Eid al-Fitr festival marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None