- Title: River Plate confirms two players tested positive for diuretic
- Date: 23rd June 2017
- Summary: EZEIZA, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE, ARGENTINA (JUNE 23, 2017) (REUTERS) RIVER COACH MARCELO GALLARDO AND RIVER PLATE DOCTOR PEDRO HANSING, ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RIVER COACH MARCELO GALLARDO, SAYING: "It has taken us by surprise and shocked us at this time. I understand, as Pedro (River Plate Doctor Pedro Hansing) said, it is only these two specific cases of which we have been notified and clearly for us, it's a problem. They are two important players for our institution, for our team line-up. They are two extraordinary people. That is the reason it also generates this anguish and pain. Clearly for us, it places us in a position, where any competition we have becomes a secondary issue, beyond that we will attack this problem, we will try to clarify it and solve it and quickly and then we'll think about next steps." GALLARGO AND HANSING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RIVER PLATE DOCTOR PEDRO HANSING, SAYING: "Up to this point we have received two communications from the disciplinary committee in which two adverse analytical results of two samples have been recorded from two matches and two of our players. The substance to which reference is made in these analytical samples is a diuretic, hydrochlorothiazide, which we do not have and do not routinely handle in our drug stock."
- Embargoed: 7th July 2017 20:50
- Keywords: doping River Argentina scandal
- Location: EZEIZA, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE AND BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: EZEIZA, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE AND BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026MI22PR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: River Plate's doctor Pedro Hansing said on Friday (June 23) that the substance detected in the anti-doping controls of two members of the squad is not in any of the drugs used by the club of the Argentine soccer league.
River reported this week that Conmebol them that midfielder Camilo Mayada and defender Lucas Martinez Quarta tested positive for anti-doping controls during two games of the first round of the Copa Libertadores de America.
Team doctor Pedro Hansing said the club is investigating the possibility that some supplement or substance may have been contaminated.
Coach Marcelo Gallardo said the club is trying to do everything possible to understand what happened.
River will face Paraguay's Guarani on July 4 in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores round of 16, in a match that Mayada and Martinez Quarta will not be able to play in as they face a probable suspension for several months.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None