- Title: Former Chelsea captain Terry joins Aston Villa
- Date: 3rd July 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - AUGUST 10, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF JOHN TERRY TRAINING WITH CHELSEA CHELSEA MANAGER ANTONIO CONTE AT SESSION PLAYERS RUNNING ON PITCH CONTE WATCHING AS SQUAD RUNS PAST CHELSEA FANS WATCH FROM THE GRANDSTAND JOHN TERRY TRAINING JOHN TERRY SEEN AT BACK DURING TRAINING GAME CHELSEA PLAYERS ON PITCH AT STAMFORD BRIDGE LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MAY 25, 2015) (REUTERS) CHELSEA FANS CELEBRATING THEIR TEAM'S PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE SUCCESS AS PLAYERS ARRIVE ON BUSES OUTGOING STRIKER DIDIER DROGBA AND JOHN TERRY SEEN ON BUS JOHN TERRY AND CESAR AZPILICUETA CELEBRATING ON FRONT OF BUS CHELSEA PLAYERS CELEBRATING AS BUS PASSES
- Embargoed: 17th July 2017 14:23
- Keywords: Chelsea John Terry contract Premier League Aston Villa
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016O5X1RZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former Chelsea and England captain John Terry has joined Championship side Aston Villa on a one-year deal, the club confirmed on its website on Monday (July 3).
Terry became a free agent at the weekend after 22 years at Stamford Bridge where he played his entire career in the Premier League.
He made his final appearance for the champions in May, leaving to a guard of honour 26 minutes into the game to correspond with his shirt number.
But, despite interest from West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City and Bournemouth, he has been persuaded to drop down to England's second tier by Villa manager Bruce.
Villa are former European Cup holders who were relegated from the Premier League in 2016. Despite spending heavily under Chinese owner Tony Xia, they failed to gain instant promotion and finished a disappointing 13th last season. But they are among the favourites to go up next season.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None