- Title: Iraq slows advance on last IS pocket in Mosul
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER WOUNDED BY SHRAPNEL OF GRENADE / BLOOD TRAIL ON HIS NOSE BLOODIED WOUNDED ARM OF FEDERAL POLICE MEMBER AND COLLEAGUE BANDAGING IT
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 13:24
- Keywords: Fight for Mosul Islamic State cornered Federal Police firing guns rubble in Old City
- Location: OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: OLD CITY, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OAYHQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi forces slowed their advance on Tuesday (July 4) through the last streets in Mosul controlled by Islamic State where militants and civilians are packed in densely together, a commander said.
While Iraqi commanders predicted final victory in Mosul this week, U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces announced they had begun an assault on Islamic State's Syrian redoubt in the Old City of Raqqa.
The Iraqi military has pushed insurgents into a shrinking rectangle no more than 300 by 500 metres beside the Tigris river in Mosul; but the resistance has been fierce.
A commander from the Rapid Response Division, an elite Interior Ministry unit, estimated more than 10,000 civilians remained trapped inside the area under militant control, including people brought from other areas as human shields. They are trapped with little food, water or medicine amid the Old City's maze of narrow alleyways, according to residents who have managed to escape.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None