- Title: South Korea warns the North after missile launch
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - APRIL, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF DEFENCE MINISTRY BUILDING FLAGS OF SOUTH KOREA AND DEFENCE MINISTRY FLYING
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 11:03
- Keywords: North Korea missile ICBM South Korea warning Seoul residents
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OAYKW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's military warned North Korea on Tuesday (July 4) after the North claimed it successfully test-launched an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
The launch, which North Korea's state media said was ordered and supervised by leader Kim Jong Un, sent the rocket 933 km (580 miles) with a flight time of 39 minutes and reached an altitude of 2,802 km.
The North also said its missiles were now capable of striking anywhere in the world.
Seoul residents worried over the missile launch and urged the international community to apply stronger sanctions on North Korea.
Officials from South Korea, Japan and the United States said the missile landed in Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) after being launched near an airfield in Panghyon, about 100 km (60 miles) northwest of the North's capital, Pyongyang.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None