- Title: Blast in Bangladesh garment factory kills 10
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Bengali) NAZMUL ISLAM, BROTHER OF MISSING MAN, SAYING: "After the incident since yesterday evening I am searching for my elder brother, but he is still missing. I went to different hospitals and saw injured and dead, but no trace of my brother." REALTIVES AT HOSPITAL WOMAN WATCHING OVER INJURED PATIENT IN HOSPITAL INJURED FACTORY WORKER RELATIVES SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Bengali) MORSHED AHMED, FACTORY WORKER, SAYING: "We five workers were working near the boiler. Suddenly I heard a huge sound and became senseless. After a few moments when I got back my senses I shouted and have seen five other friends are just under the rubble. My leg was also stuck under a pillar. Then, somehow, I could pull my leg out and survived." VARIOUS OF ANOTHER INJURED MAN IN HOSPITAL BED
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 16:34
- Keywords: Bangladesh garment factory blast employees injured hospital boiler
- Location: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- City: DHAKA, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0036OAZEX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A boiler explosion at a Bangladeshi garment plant near the city of Dhaka killed 10 people and injured dozens, emergency workers said on Tuesday (July 4), the latest industrial tragedy to hit one of the world's biggest garment producers.
The blast, late on Monday (July 3), occurred at a plant operated by local Bangladeshi firm, Multifabs, while maintenance work was going on, company and fire brigade officials said. The explosion at the boiler, located in a tin-roofed shed, partially damaged a nearby three-story factory building.
Families scoured the scene for missing people. The plant had been shut for 10 days for Eid holidays at the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and was being readied to resume operations on Tuesday, when the accident occurred.
The company started operating in 1992 and reached $70 million in exports in 2016. Its top buyers include fashion chain Lindex, which is part of Finland's Stockmann, German supermarket chain Aldi, and Rexholm of Denmark.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None