- Title: Bones and barking, naps and walks for Ecuador's retiring police dogs
- Date: 6th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF HANDLERS WALKING DOGS ON THE RED CARPET TOWARD FAMILIES ADOPTING THE DOGS DOG BEING HANDED OVER TO TRAINER DOG BEING PATTED ON THE HEAD BLACK AND WHITE POLICE DOG LOOKING AROUND
- Embargoed: 20th July 2017 13:01
- Keywords: police dogs retirement ceremony
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0066OFYR0J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sixteen faithful members of Ecuador's police force hung up their uniforms on Tuesday (July 4) and set out for retirement - a life likely to include relaxing walks, long naps, bones and barking.
They are the dogs of the department's K-9 unit who have reached the retirement age of eight years old and are leaving behind lives of drug searches, search and rescue, crowd control and public relations.
The dogs sat quietly with their handlers in a solemn ceremony as the officers prayed for them and remembered the ones killed in service.
After the ceremony, the officers walked their dogs along the red carpet to their newly adopted families.
Officer Luis Monar said surrendering his canine partner Tyron was sad, but he was happy to see him going to a good family and planned on keeping in touch.
Several of the dogs were adopted by families with farms outside of Quito.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.