- Title: Trump congratulates Iraq on defeat of Islamic State in Mosul - White House
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: TAYYARAN DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ (JULY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) IRAQI NATIONAL FLAG ON ARMOURED VEHICLE, GROUP OF MEMBERS OF ARMED FORCES DANCING MEMBERS OF ARMED FORCES DANCING AND POINTING GUNS INTO THE AIR MEMBERS OF ARMED FORCES DANCING WITH BOY MEMBER OF ARMED FORCES DANCING WITH IRAQI NATIONAL FLAG, MAKING "V" SIGN
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 21:09
- Keywords: Iraq Islamic State Trump White House
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C, UNITED STATES; MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C, UNITED STATES; MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P4Z7EV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: White House Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders that President Donald Trump congratulated the Iraqi Prime Minister after he minister declared victory over Islamic State in Mosul on Monday (July 10), three years after the militants seized the city.
In neighboring Syria, U.S.-backed forces have entered Raqqa and are battling Islamic State militants there.
The battlefield advances are a potentially fatal blow to Islamic State's self-proclaimed "caliphate," but also bring fresh challenges and risks, according to Western diplomats and U.S. officials.
The key question, they said, is whether U.S. President Donald Trump, who has been leery of foreign assistance and "nation building," and allies in Europe and the Middle East lead a long-term campaign of physical and political reconstruction.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None