- Title: Military activity seen at Turkish air base as Germany starts withdrawing troops
- Date: 11th July 2017
- Summary: INCIRLIK, TURKEY (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF INCIRLIK AIR BASE PLANES ON RUNWAY GERMAN JET LANDING VIEW OF THE AIR BASE GERMAN JETS LANDING STORAGE DEPOTS WITH TURKISH FLAG VARIOUS OF GERMAN JETS TAXIING ON RUNWAY AFTER LANDING VIEW OF THE AIR BASE GERMAN JET TAXIING ON RUNWAY TURKISH FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 25th July 2017 09:58
- Keywords: Turkish air base Incirlik international operations Islamic State disputes German jets troops withdrawal
- Location: INCIRLIK, TURKEY
- City: INCIRLIK, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P9TYDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German jets were seen landing at Incirlik on Monday (July 10), a day after Germany began pulling its troops out of the Turkish air base where they have supported international operations against Islamic State.
The withdrawal from the Incirlik base was approved by the German parliament last month.
It marks a further step in one of many disputes between Turkey and Germany, ranging from a post-coup clampdown by Ankara to Turkish political campaigning in Germany.
German tornado jets were due to keep operating out of Incirlik at least until the end of July as part of a mission providing reconnaissance aircraft to support U.S.-led coalition operations against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
In the meantime, the necessary material was to be moved to a new air base in Jordan, where the planes are scheduled to be deployed by October.
Turkey had refused to allow German lawmakers to make what they saw as a routine visit to the base, saying that Berlin needed to improve its attitude towards Turkey first.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None