- Title: Czech zoo roars over birth of white lion quintuplets
- Date: 13th July 2017
- Summary: DVOREC, CZECH REPUBLIC (JULY 12, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE OF DVOREC ZOO PEOPLE IN THE ZOO WHITE LION (PANTHER LAO KRUGERI) FAMILY DESCRIPTION OF THE LION SPECIES IN CZECH PEOPLE WATCHING LIONS FATHER AGI WITH HIS CUBS VARIOUS OF CUBS PLAYING CUB RELAXING VARIOUS OF CUBS PLAYING MOTHER TIA OBSERVING HER CUBS LION CUBS PLAYING LION MOTHER AND FATHER (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) ZOO OWNER AND KEEPER VIKTOR AMBROZ SAYING: "The lion is the only one of the big felines living in the family so when the female comes into rut, the male naturally follows her. You don't have to arrange for them to mate like the tigers."
- Embargoed: 27th July 2017 17:07
- Keywords: lion cubs quintuplets Dvorec Zoo Czech Republic white lion quintuplets white lion white lion cubs
- Location: DVOREC, CZECH REPUBLIC
- City: DVOREC, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife
- Reuters ID: LVA0016PJVIUX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A zoo in the Czech Republic is celebrating the birth of quintuplet white lions, a rare breed on the verge of extinction in the wild.
The animals, four females and a male, were born on May 4 and are now 10 weeks old and healthy. Lions normally have two to three offspring in a litter, and quintuplets are extremely rare.
Zoo officials said that it had been challenging to get the kittens away from their mother in order to ensure that they were maintaining a healthy weight.
White lions are a genetic mutation unique to the Timbavati and Kruger National Park areas of southern Africa and became technically extinct for at least 12 years until being reintroduced to the wild in 2004.
There are believed to be fewer than 13 white lions left in the wild and only up to 300 in captivity, according to the Global White Lion Protection trust.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None