- Title: Security tight in Kiev ahead of Eurovision grand final
- Date: 13th May 2017
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (MAY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE CARS AND POLICE OFFICERS OUTSIDE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST VENUE POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR METAL DETECTORS VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICER WITH DOG INSPECTING CAR VARIOUS OF POLICE CHECKING VISITORS VISITOR PUTTING LAPTOP INTO BACKPACK POLICE OFFICER WITH DOG OUTSIDE VENUE FANS GATHERING AT FAN ZONE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2017 LOGO READING (English): 'CELEBRATE DIVERSITY' ON SCREEN SEEN THROUGH TREES VARIOUS OF BAND ON STAGE AHEAD OF PERFORMANCE FANS WITH FLAGS CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FAN FROM UNITED KINGDOM, ALICE LAST NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "I am partly here for (United Kingdom entrant) Lucie Jones, that's my nationality, that's my passport, that's what I am going for. I am also a little bit of Azerbaijan, a little bit of Georgia, but Georgia didn't make, I am currently living in Georgia and they didn't make it which is very sad for me, but generally, just here for kind of international crowd." (SOUNDBITE) (English) FAN FROM GERMANY, SIGI LAST NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "She (Germany entrant Levina) is a wonderful lady, she looks pretty and she is very nice and people see that now. She is on stage, she is very pleasant and she sings a wonderful song also and she looks so pretty that people fall in love with her maybe. And this might be the reason that she goes up and up every day." (SOUNDBITE) (English) FAN FROM BELGIUM, BIGGI LAST NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "Blanche (Belgium entrant) is a wonderful girl, she has a beautiful voice and she is a little bit shy, but Belgium love her." (SOUNDBITE) (English) FAN FROM GERMANY, CHIRSTIAN LAST NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "The song is a funny song and he (Italy entrant Francesco Gabbani) is so happy. And when you see the song and the performance on stage, my heart go on and I say 'Oh, it's so nice' and I will dance and it's fun, yes." ENTRANCE TO FAN ZONE VARIOUS OF FANS WITH FLAGS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GOING THROUGH METAL DETECTORS AND BEING INSPECTED BY POLICE PEOPLE WALKING IN FAN ZONE VARIOUS OF WOMEN POSING FOR PICTURES NEAR EUROVISION SIGN
- Embargoed: 27th May 2017 12:25
- Keywords: fan zone security Kiev Ukraine grand final Eurovision Song Contest
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GO7KNH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kiev police has set up tight security checks for all spectators and audience arriving for the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 grand final on Saturday (May 13).
Despite chilly and rainy weather many fans come hours before the start of the show to catch the mood of the festival and police could be seen checking bags and cars as visitors arrived and fans entered the fan zone.
Italian crooner Francesco Gabbani was named as the clear favourite on Friday (May 12) by betting company William Hill. His performance viewed nearly 114 million times on Youtube mixes Buddhist imagery with a dancing ape. He says it is poking fun at the West's superficial embrace of eastern culture.
Vying for the first place is Portugal's Salvador Sobral performing a softer jazz-style ballad written by his sister Luisa and according to bookmakers, third favourite is the youngest ever Eurovision contestant - seventeen-year-old Bulgarian entry Kristian Kostov.
Ukraine is hosting the competition amid war against Russia-backed separatists in the east of the Ñountry, hundreds kilometres away from its capital Kiev.
The country got a chance to host the contest after its Crimean Tatar entrant Jamala has won the competition last year.
Russia is boycotting the event after Ukraine barred Moscow's contestant Yulia Samoylova from entering the country because she had performed in Crimea.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None