- Title: Trump says he should not have picked Sessions as attorney general -NY Times
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JUNE 13, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SESSIONS SWEARING-IN FOR HEARING
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 03:51
- Keywords: U.S. Attorney General Jeff Session President Donald Trump recuse New York Times interview
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., + UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., + UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QISYMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (July 19) he would not have appointed Jeff Sessions as attorney general if he had known Sessions would recuse himself from the Russia investigation, according to a New York Times interview.
Sessions recused himself in March from the probe into allegations of Russia's meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and possible ties between Russians and the Trump campaign. He did so after failing to disclose at his confirmation hearing that he had held meetings last year with Russia's ambassador.
A Sessions spokesman declined a Reuters request for comment.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None