- Title: Kos suffers extensive damage in quake
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: KOS, GREECE (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) PARTS OF HISTORICAL MOSQUE IN TOWN SQUARE COLLAPSED AND DAMAGED (NIGHT SHOT) TOURISTS AND LOCALS STANDING AROUND AND SITTING ON THE GROUND IN TOWN SQUARE TOGETHER IN EARLY MORNING HOURS AFTER QUAKE, RUBBLE ON GROUND FROM DAMAGED MOSQUE, PART OF MOSQUE COLLAPSED (NIGHT SHOT) DAMAGED SHOP SURROUNDED BY RUBBLE FROM COLLAPSED WALLS (NIGHT SHOT) PEOPLE STANDING IN THE STREETS, RUBBLE IN THE STREETS, COLLAPSED STONES FROM WALL IN THE STREET (NIGHT SHOT) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED APARTMENT BUILDING, BOTTOM FLOOR OF APARTMENT BUILDING COLLAPSED/BALCONY CRACKED/VARIOUS DEBRIS FROM COLLAPSED FLOOR AROUND BUILDING VARIOUS OF HISTORICAL WALLS AND BUILDINGS IN OLD TOWN DAMAGED AND COLLAPSED, HUGE PILES OF RUBBLE ON THE GROUND COVERING THE STREETS WALL OF ORTHODOX CHURCH COLLAPSED, HOLE INSIDE OF CHURCH, DAMAGE TO OTHER WALLS OF CHURCH DAMAGE TO WALL AND STEPS OF A HOUSE, RUBBLE ON STEPS AND ON THE GROUND, PIECES OF WALL FALLEN DOWN HISTORICAL MOSQUE IN TOWN SQUARE DAMAGED, PARTS OF BUILDING COLLAPSED HARBOUR DOCK CORDONED OFF WITH TAPE, ASPHALT AND TILES ON ROAD OF DOCK BROKEN WITH HUGE CRACKS ASPHALT ON ROAD OF DOCK TORN OPEN VARIOUS OF CARS CRUSHED UNDER FALLEN WALLS AND RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 09:49
- Keywords: Kos island earthquake damages
- Location: KOS, GREECE
- City: KOS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNU9TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A powerful earthquake in the Aegean that killed at least two people and injured scores on Friday (July 21) caused heavy damage to historical sites, buildings, and roads on the island of Kos.
At least one ferry was unable to dock because of extensive damage to the island's quay, where the asphalt and tiles had been torn open and uprooted, and the area was cordoned off.
The historical walls and buildings of Kos town, as well as churches and mosques, suffered extensive damage, with collapsed walls, while parked cars were crushed under piles of stone and rubble.
Police sources said the roof of a bar collapsed. At least one house and one apartment building also suffered structural damages.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None