- Title: Moroccan police fire tear gas to disperse protests in north
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: AL-HOCEIMA, MOROCCO (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERING MEMBER OF SECURITY FORCE FIRING TEAR GAS CANNISTERS AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS MAKING ARREST GESTURES/CHANTING IN ARABIC: "THE PEOPLE DEMAND THE RELEASE OF THE DETAINED"/RIOT POLICE PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTERS CHANTING/RIOT POLICE TOPSHOT OF RIOT POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS PROTESTERS MAKING ARREST GESTURES WITH HANDS/CHANTING RIOT POLICE/PROTESTERS PROTESTERS CHANTING IN ARABIC:"PEACEFUL, PEACEFUL" TOPSHOT OF RIOT POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 03:10
- Keywords: police protest tear gas demonstrations
- Location: AL-HOCIEMA, MOROCCO
- City: AL-HOCIEMA, MOROCCO
- Country: Morocco
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNSTON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police fired tear gas and used truncheons to scatter hundreds of protesters in northern Morocco, a Reuters witness said on Thursday (July 20), part of the biggest wave of demonstrations in the kingdom since Arab Spring-inspired rallies in 2011.
People have taken to the streets in the Rif region around the city of Al-Hoceima since October over injustice, corruption and underdevelopment, and on Thursday thousands gathered to try to join in rallies that local authorities had banned.
Tensions have been simmering in Al-Hoceima since October when a fishmonger died after being crushed inside a garbage truck while trying to save his fish confiscated by police.
Authorities have arrested more than 100 leaders and members of the movement, called Hirak al Chaabi in Arabic, since the end of May, and protests have vented over broader frustrations about the region's lack of development and economic problems.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None