- Title: Parents of terminally ill UK baby Charlie Gard end treatment legal battle
- Date: 24th July 2017
- Summary: ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE / SIGN READING: (English) "JUSTICE FRANCIS THIS IS ON YOU... RELEASE CHARLIE NOW IF IT'S ALL YOU DO"
- Embargoed: 7th August 2017 15:07
- Keywords: Campaign to save Charlie Guard; parents arriving at court supporters outside court; Great Ormond Street Hospital; treatment in United States
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / INTERNET
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / INTERNET
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA00A6R2UATJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The parents of Charlie Gard dropped their legal battle to give the terminally ill British baby further treatment on Monday (July 24) and will now hold discussions with his London hospital about how he should be allowed to die.
Charlie's mother, Connie Yates, who won the support of U.S. President Donald Trump and Pope Francis with a campaign to keep him alive, said 11-month-old Charlie could have lived a normal life if he had been given treatment earlier.
Charlie has a rare genetic condition causing progressive muscle weakness and brain damage. His parents had sought to send him to the United States to undergo experimental therapy.
Britain's courts, backed by the European Court of Human Rights, refused permission, saying it would prolong his suffering without any realistic prospect of helping the child.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.