- Title: Fear lingers in Pakistanâ€™s Lahore a day after suicide attack killed at least 25
- Date: 25th July 2017
- Summary: TRAFFIC ON ROAD
- Embargoed: 8th August 2017 09:11
- Keywords: suicide bomb Lahore fear residents police
- Location: LAHORE , PAKISTAN
- City: LAHORE , PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0056R7T1L1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Residents of Lahore were in a state of shock on Tuesday (July 25), a day after a suicide attack shattered a period of relative calm in Pakistan's second-largest city.
A suicide bomber on a motorcycle killed at least 25 people, many of them police, in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore on Monday (July 24). At least 52 others were injured in the blast that occurred while police were carrying out an operation to clear street vendors in an area near the Lahore Technology Park in the centre of the city.
The bombing was claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban, also known as the Pakistani Taliban, in a message sent to the media by spokesman Muhammad Khurassani. The Pakistani Taliban are loosely allied with Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents but focus their attacks on the Pakistani government.
Bomb blasts by militants are common in Pakistan, especially in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, but attacks in Lahore had become less frequent in recent years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None