- Title: NGO calls for Yemen human rights investigation into militias
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: IBB, YEMEN (FILE - MARCH 7, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CROWD PROTESTING AGAINST HOUTHIS
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 16:47
- Keywords: Yemen Sanaa human rights violations inquiry civil war extremism Saudi Arabia
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / SANAA AND IBB, YEMEN
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / SANAA AND IBB, YEMEN
- Country: France
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046RMUZBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Human rights organisation Mwatana called on Friday (July 28) for an independent international inquiry into alleged human rights violations in Yemen.
Mwatana co-founder Radhya Almutawakel, who came to Paris to ask for support for the inquiry, said all militias were committing violations.
She told Reuters her non-governmental organisation Mwatana, which employs 60 people in Yemen, had documented cases of illegal detentions, torture and forced disappearance.
A Saudi Arabia-led military coalition is fighting the Iran-allied Houthi militia in Yemen. Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab allies have intervened in Yemen's civil war since March 2015 in a campaign to restore the ousted internationally recognised government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None