- Title: Palestinians hold Friday prayers in Jerusalem amid hightened security
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF AL-AQSA MOSQUE AS SEEN FROM MOUNT OF OLIVES WORSHIPPERS PRAYING ON PLAZA AS SEEN FROM MOUNT OF OLIVES GROUND SHOTS OF MEN PRAYING NEAR OLD CITY LIONS GATE THREE SHOTS OF ISRAELI POLICE IN RIOT GEAR OVERSEEING PRAYERS POLICE STANDING NEXT TO WORSHIPPERS IN EAST JERUSALEM NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICE IN RIOT GEAR STANDING BEHIND WORSHIPPERS PRAYERS WITH GOLDEN DOME OF THE ROCK IN THE BACKGROUND MORE OF POLICE OVERSEEING PRAYERS POLICE ON SITE WORSHIPPERS RAISING HANDS DURING PRAYERS ISRAELI POLICE VARIOUS OF PRAYERS WITH DONE OF THE ROCK IN THE BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 12:25
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Al-Aqsa Violence Jerusalem
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMSOCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: After two weeks of snowballing tension and some of the worst violence in years, the main prayer session at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa's mosque ended more quietly than expected on Friday (July 28) with thousands of Palestinians praying in and outside Jerusalem's Old City after Israel set an age-limit on who could attend.
Extra police stood guard throughout the walled Old City, some wearing riot gear, some on horseback, in anticipation of mass protests. But aside from a few hot-spots where Palestinian protesters briefly clashed with Israeli officers, violence at the levels seen in recent days was so far avoided.
Throughout the day, Israel limited entry to the mosque's compound, referred to by Jews as the Temple Mount and by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary, to men over the age of 50, while women of all ages were allowed in.
A few thousand people made their way to Al-Aqsa for Friday prayers, police said, while a younger crowd remained outside and worshipped from the side streets. When the prayer session ended those congregated left the area peacefully, for the most part.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None