- Title: Malaysia sets October 2 for trial of women suspects in Kim Jong Nam killing
- Date: 28th July 2017
- Summary: SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA (JULY 28, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE OF SHAH ALAM HIGH COURT VEHICLE CARRYING ONE OF KIM JONG NAM MURDER SUSPECTS WITH POLICE ESCORT LEAVING SHAH ALAH HIGH COURT POLICE STANDING GUARD VEHICLE CARRYING ONE OF KIM JONG NAM MURDER SUSPECTS WITH POLICE ESCORT LEAVING SHAH ALAH HIGH COURT EXTERIOR OF SHAH ALAM HIGH COURT FOUNTAIN / SIGN READING (Bahasa Malaysia) "COURT BUILDING OF SULTAN SALAHUDDIN ABDUL AZIZ SHAH" SITI AISYAH'S LAWYER GOOI SOON SENG STANDING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE REPORTER STANDING/LISTENING TO NEWS CONFERENCE REPORTER TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (English) SITI AISYAH'S LAWYER, GOOI SOON SENG, SAYING: "We have to do the best that we can on all the available evidence, we do have some independent evidence to corroborate our client's version of the story that she was merely practising some pranks and that she did not know what was being used, what poison or VX. So in that sense there is no guilty intention on her part to commit the murder and in such a situation then she cannot be guilty of the offence." GOOI SPEAKING CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (English) INDONESIAN SUSPECT SITI AISYAH'S LAWYER, GOOI SOON SENG, SAYING: "Having looked at the CCTV recordings, perhaps the judge may have a better understanding of how the situation took place. If the judge were to visit the crime of sceneâ€¦ of course all visits to the crime of scene will be in the presence of the accused person as well as the witness." REPORTER TAKING VIDEO WITH SMARTPHONE (SOUNDBITE) (English) VIETNAMESE SUSPECT DOAN THI HUONG'S LAWYER, HISYAM TEH POH TEIK SAYING: "The last time we also asked for the statements from three North Koreans who have been sent back to North Korea, after this point of time their statements were not given to us, we are interested to have a look at their statements as well. So this morning they (prosecutors) gave us only what balance of the statements we could use at the trial and also the CCTV footages at the airport on the day of the incident." VARIOUS OF DOAN'S LAWYERS SPEAKING TO EACH OTHER
- Embargoed: 11th August 2017 06:26
- Keywords: North Korea Malaysia court murder Kim Jong Nam Siti Aisyah Doan Thi Huong
- Location: SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA
- City: SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RMSBPH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Malaysia will begin on October 2 the trial of two women accused of the dramatic killing of the estranged half brother of North Korea's leader, the High Court said on Friday (July 28).
Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25, and Doan Thi Huong, 28, from Vietnam, are charged with murdering Kim Jong Nam at Kuala Lumpur airport on February 13 by smearing his face with VX, a chemical the United Nations describes as a weapon of mass destruction.
Judge Azmi Ariffin said both women would be tried jointly, with pleas taken at the first hearing.
If convicted, the women could face the death penalty.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None