- Title: Los Angeles to host 2028 Summer Olympics - source
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LONG BEACH WATERFRONT AND PIER VIEW OF RMS QUEEN MARY IN DOCK VIEW OF LONG BEACH AQUARIUM MEDIA/VIEW OF LONG BEACH WATERFRONT VIEW OF BEACH WOMAN POSING FOR PHOTO IN FRONT OF LA 2024 LOGO CARSON, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) MEDIA ARRIVING AT STUBHUB CENTER VARIOUS OF TENNIS VENUE VARIOUS OF STUB HUB STADIUM SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) VIEW OF SANTA MONICA BEACH PEOPLE PLAYING BEACH VOLLEY BALL LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 11, 2017) (REUTERS) SIGN FOR LA 2024 OUTSIDE STAPLES CENTER IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 20:24
- Keywords: Los Angeles to host 2028 Olympics Summer Olympics Paris IOC UCLA USC
- Location: LOS ANGELES, LONG BEACH, PASADENA, CARSON AND SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, LONG BEACH, PASADENA, CARSON AND SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0056S1TV7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Los Angeles will host the 2028 Summer Olympics after reaching a deal with Olympic organizers, a source close to the negotiation told Reuters on Monday (July 31), a move that paves the way for Paris to host the 2024 Games.
An announcement from the International Olympic Committee was expected later on Monday.
Los Angeles - the site of the Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984 - had argued that it could host a low-cost Olympics given that it already has all the necessary infrastructure in place, while Paris would need to build several expensive structures.
But recent bids by Paris had been passed over, and many felt the French capital was due to get the nod for the 2024 Games, which will mark 100 years since the last time it hosted a Games.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has said that while Los Angeles would prefer to host the Games in 2024, it was not outright opposed to hosting in 2028 instead.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None