- Title: Afghan security forces end battle with gunmen in Kabul - interior ministry
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CONVOY OF AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES LEAVING ATTACK SITE VARIOUS OF SOLDIER HOLDING WEAPON CONVOY OF SECURITY VEHICLES DRIVING BY SECURITY FORCE MEMBERS (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) MEMBER OF THE AFGHAN POLICE SPECIAL FORCES, SAYED BASIR, SAYING: "Four insurgents were involved in today's attack. One of them blew himself up but fortunately it didn't cause any casualties to our comrades. Only two of our comrades were slightly wounded by shrapnel and they will recover within a week. The attack is over." SECURITY PERSONNEL GUARDING AREA ARMY HELICOPTER FLYING OVERHEAD CONVOY OF SECURITY PERSONNEL LEAVING ATTACK SITE AMBULANCE DRIVING PAST
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 15:27
- Keywords: Suicide bomb blast Kabul attack Afghan security forces Islamic State Iraqi embassy
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1TBGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan security forces have ended their battle with gunmen who attacked the Iraqi embassy in Kabul on Monday (July 31), the interior ministry announced.
Militant group Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, which began when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the main gate, allowing gunmen to enter the building and battle security forces.
Security forces confronted three gunmen for hours before the interior ministry announced that the attack, in a normally busy business district of the capital, had been suppressed.
"The attack is finished," said Sayed Basir, a member of the special forces unit that dealt with the incident. He said the four attackers were dead, while two members of his unit were slightly wounded.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None