- Title: Paris 2024 candidacy team welcomes "very close" Olympics win
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: PARIS 2024 OLYMPIC BID LOGO ON MONTPARNASSE TOWER FACADE
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 16:39
- Keywords: Olympics Paris 2024 Los Angeles IOC reaction
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SBSWUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Paris 2024 candidacy team welcomed calmly the news that victory in the race for the 2024 Olympics was all but guaranteed on Tuesday (August 1).
Paris 2024 CEO Etienne Thobois told Reuters TV the team was staying focused until the ICO's final decision in September in Lima, even if a feeling of satisfaction was growing.
Paris was seen as the front-runner for the 2024 Games because it had been passed over in a series of earlier Olympic bids and because the French capital will have marked 100 years since the last time it hosted the Games.
The French capital was competing with Los Angeles for the 2024 Summer Games after several other contenders withdrew, and the stage was set for Paris to win its bid when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) confirmed that Los Angeles had officially embraced the later date of 2028.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.