- Title: Nigeria to legalize mini refineries, to supply them with crude
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: OGONI, NIGERIA (FILE) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) LOCAL WORKER POURING CRUDE OIL ON TO ALREADY BURNING OIL FIRE BURNING VARIOUS OF WORKER POURING OIL ON FIRE 4, FIRE BURNING VARIOUS OF LOCAL WORKERS FILLING REFINED OIL INTO A BUCKET REFINED OIL BEING POURED OUT JERRY CANS OGONI, NIGERIA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TANKS AT REFINERY CAMP OIL-CLOGGED GROUND VARIOUS OF OIL IN A DITCH VARIOUS OF POLLUTED CREEKS BOAT PARKED AT A LOCAL REFINERY CAMP
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 23:16
- Keywords: Niger Delta refinery mini refineries crude
- Location: OGONI, NIGERIA
- City: OGONI, NIGERIA
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLTOW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nigeria will legalise illegal mini refineries in the Niger Delta oil hub by the end of the year and supply them with crude at a reasonable price, the presidency said on Thursday (August 3), fulfilling a demand from community leaders.
On Monday, Niger Delta leaders threatened to pull out of peace talks with the government unless their demands were met by November 1.
Each of the Niger Delta states would receive two modular refineries to start up in the fourth quarter, the statement said.
The government has been in talks with community leaders since last year to end militant attacks on oil production facilities, which cut the OPEC member's output by 700,000 barrels a day for several months last year.
But a military crackdown on thousands of illegal refineries in the southern swamps, which process crude oil stolen from oil majors and state oil firm NNPC, has raised tensions.
The refineries process stolen crude in makeshift pipes and metal tanks hidden in oil-soaked clearings deep in the southern swampland's thick bush land.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None